August 14, 2012 – Community Resources for the Oak Creek Tragedy
Community Safety Kits for Places of Worship:
- – UNITED SIKHS: http://unitedsikhs.org/docs/CommunitySafetyBrochure.pdf
- – CAIR: http://www.cair.com/ActionCenter/CommunityToolKit.aspx
- – MPAC: http://www.mpac.org/programs/hate-crime-prevention/what-to-do-if-it-happens-to-you.php
- – ADL: http://www.adl.org/security/
List of Vigils:
– Help Cover Funeral Costs: Amardeep Kaleka, the son of Satwant Singh, the president of the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin, created an online fundraiser “We Are Sikhs” to help cover funeral costs for victims. Singh died along with five other members in the shooting Sunday. None of the money will go to the Kaleka family, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports. Donations accepted here.
– Support Victims: An Indiegogo fund will benefit the temple shooting victims, their families and injured police offer Lt. Brian Murphy. Donors’ contributions will be held in an escrow account until August 30, at which time the fundraiser’s organizers will allocate the funds to those in need, Fox News reports. According to the Indiegogo site: “It will take some time before the precise needs of the Milwaukee Sangat are enumerated. We plan to work closely with the local Sikh community and doctors to determine the best way to distribute funds.” Donations accepted here.
– Contribute to a Memorial Fund: The Sikh Temple of Wisconsin has set up a victims fund, where people can send donations via mail to Victims Memorial Fund c/o Sikh Temple, 7512 S. Howell Ave., Oak Creek, WI 53154.